Saturday, November 13, 2010

Using Your Car as a Blind

So I have realized after years of shooting pictures, that unless I am able to become invisible and levitate...hiding from animals and trying to get good photos of them is hard work. Trying to focus with my bad arm is even harder now...I am working on making it stronger (still weak) but it's frustrating, especially photographing birds in flight.

But I have discovered that if I stay in my car, I get better shots than if I get out and walk around. I remember reading somewhere long ago a photographer said "Use your car as a blind, if you pull over in one spot, pretty soon the birds get used to it and treat it like part of the landscape". This is very true...not always...but most of the time. The birds will intially swim or fly away from an approaching car, but if you park and wait they sometimes come back...and come back quite close. When I was up at the Lower Klamath Refuge a couple of years ago I had pull over to eat a banana and drink some water...I was just chillin when this Rough Legged Hawk came and landed on the sign almost right next to me....I got so excited I had to ditch the banana and get some pics....one is posted above.

Since then I have aquired this new lens, a Sigma 50-100 APO zoom that does me proud. But still...it is heavy...and with my bad arm I cannot hand hold it....so the rest of the following shots...you guessed it...from my car...perty cool!























No comments:

Post a Comment